Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

On Wednesday we rode our bikes to school. Hooray, hooray! Oh, and I walked up to the supermarket yesterday to do the shopping. More hoorays!
I stopped for a chat with my neighbours as I went past, so a positive outcome there.

I am often so easily overwhelmed by big problems in the world, and climate change is certainly a big problem. It is a problem that affecting our poorer neighbours disproportionally and they have not even been the ones to make most of the mess on our environment.

It says in the Bible, "Love your neighbours as you love yourself"
"It also says, "Whatever you did for the least of these brothers...
And Genesis talks about taking care of the land

God owns creation and it pains Him when we don't care for it well.

I want to be part of God's world that sees us caring for our neighbours, that enables all of us to live in such a way as to care well for our families.

Well, we might only have ridden our bikes once, and walked to the supermarket once, but once is much better than not at all. It is a small step in trying to make a sustainable difference. My way of trying to counteract being paralysed by the enormity of the problem is to trying to practise celebrating the positive rather than always seeing the deficit. I have been thinking about starting up a chart to show how many times we use each type of transport but I think it will be one of those things that rather than be a motivator will just make me feel depressed and show me how much further there is to go. I am hopeful that a once bike ride/walk will encourage me to do it again. So, hooray for us! Hooray, for a climate friendly choice. Hooray!

Please share your climate friendly Hoorays! I reckon I could do with a bit of encouragement to stick at it.
Have you done anything to try to make a bit of a difference about climate change? Have you had any interesting discussions about it in your households?

1 comment:

  1. You could make a chart that only records environmentally friendly efforts (so as not to overwhelm it with car trips). Have some targets & a celebration when you get to 10, 20 whatever?

    Hooray for walking & riding! (We've walked to school once too)

    ReplyDelete